Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Great Moms Feed Their Kids

Our mornings (mine with the kids) are pretty predictable.  Isaac wakes up and comes to my room, with a big smile on his face, and says, "Hi, Mommy!"  He then gets the option to go back to his room to play for a bit, or go in our office to watch Sprout and read books, depending on whether Avery is up (they share a room).  They play for a bit while I motivate myself to get out of bed.  When I get up, they get the order to clean up their toys and make their beds (I'm not a stickler for neatness on that one...just happy they try).  We grab clothes and head downstairs.

I grab breakfast while they get start to get themselves dressed, then they come into the kitchen with me.  We head back into the living room to eat.  They have very serious discussions while I catch up on e-mails and headlines and statuses.

Apparently, I was the topic of their conversation this morning.  I tuned in to:

A: She gives us meat....
I: ....and Cheerios!
(at this point, they could have been talking about my mother, too; until...)
A: Oooh, and she gives us M&M chocolate pancakes with syrup!!
I: Yummy!  And milk and tea!
A: And oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!
I: And chocolate!
A:  Mmmm.  She's a really great Mommy.
I: Uh huh.  She's MY Mommy.
A: Mine too!!
I: Yup.

First of all, I love listening to their conversations.  I love that a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old can have such lengthy discussions about....whatever...and be so serious about it.  They're like a little married couple talking about their day over breakfast.

But to hear them talk about me...nicely and happily....makes me feel mushy inside.  Now, if only I could get them to remember that I give them HEALTHY food, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment